Posted in , ,

Obligatory John 6 Mayhem

05 March 2012 by Neil

“All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and belives in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day”
-- John 6:37-39


A stumbling block looms before us: Christ did not purchase redemption for everyone.  It's not universal; it is as they say, Limited. But don't panic; even though it is Limited, it is not capricious, and even though it is Limited, it is exhaustive and sufficient.

How so?  Listen attentively to the words of our Lord: “All that the Father gives me will come.” All real Christians that are or ever will be, are an explicit gift from the Father to the Christ. They belong to Jesus Christ. And everyone that is on the Father's gift list, will come to Jesus. They will. All of them will. Jesus said so. How could it be otherwise?

“...whoever comes to me I will never cast out... and this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me...” Once they come into the grasp of Jesus Christ, all real Christians that are or ever will be, will always be just that: Christians. They will always be redeemed. They shall not be taken from Jesus, he won't misplace them, and he will never toss them away. This is the will of God, and his will will stand. How could it be otherwise?

Why does the Father give these gifts to the Son? Why does he do this? Once again, ask Jesus in John 6:40: “For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.” He does it to save. He does it to save the lives of those that he gives to the Son.