Posted in

Advent Day 13: Psalms

09 December 2011 by FX Turk

Psalm 35 (ESV)

 1Contend, O LORD, with those who contend with me;
    fight against those who fight against me!
2Take hold of shield and buckler
   and rise for my help!
3Draw the spear and javelin
   against my pursuers!
Say to my soul,
   "I am your salvation!"
 4 Let them be put to shame and dishonor
   who seek after my life!
Let them be turned back and disappointed
   who devise evil against me!
5Let them be like chaff before the wind,
   with the angel of the LORD driving them away!
6Let their way be dark and slippery,
   with the angel of the LORD pursuing them!

 7For without cause they hid their net for me;
   without cause they dug a pit for my life.
8Let destruction come upon him when he does not know it!And let the net that he hid ensnare him;
   let him fall into it—to his destruction!

 9Then my soul will rejoice in the LORD,
    exulting in his salvation.
10All my bones shall say,
   "O LORD, who is like you,
delivering the poor
   from him who is too strong for him,
   the poor and needy from him who robs him?"

 11 Malicious witnesses rise up;
   they ask me of things that I do not know.
12 They repay me evil for good;
   my soul is bereft.
13But I, when they were sick—
   I wore sackcloth;
   I afflicted myself with fasting;
I prayed with head bowed on my chest.
 14I went about as though I grieved for my friend or my brother;
as one who laments his mother,
   I bowed down in mourning.

 15But at my stumbling they rejoiced and gathered;
   they gathered together against me;
wretches whom I did not know
   tore at me without ceasing;
16like profane mockers at a feast,
   they gnash at me with their teeth.

 17How long, O Lord, will you look on?
   Rescue me from their destruction,
    my precious life from the lions!
18I will thank you in the great congregation;
   in the mighty throng I will praise you.

 19 Let not those rejoice over me
   who are wrongfully my foes,
and let not those wink the eye
   who hate me without cause.
20For they do not speak peace,
   but against those who are quiet in the land
   they devise words of deceit.
21They open wide their mouths against me;
   they say, "Aha, Aha!
   Our eyes have seen it!"

 22 You have seen, O LORD; be not silent!
   O Lord, be not far from me!
23Awake and rouse yourself for my vindication,
   for my cause, my God and my Lord!
24 Vindicate me, O LORD, my God,
   according to your righteousness,
   and let them not rejoice over me!
25Let them not say in their hearts,
    "Aha, our heart’s desire!"
Let them not say, "We have swallowed him up."

 26Let them be put to shame and disappointed altogether
   who rejoice at my calamity!
Let them be clothed with shame and dishonor
   who magnify themselves against me!

 27Let those who delight in my righteousness
   shout for joy and be glad
    and say evermore,
"Great is the LORD,
   who delights in the welfare of his servant!"
28Then my tongue shall tell of your righteousness
   and of your praise all the day long.

Labels: